Sonntag, 26. Mai 2013

What I've been up to.

So, I have not blogged for a while. Shame on me. Not that anybody reads this, but I had plans on documenting the things I make. And I failed, because I crafted a lot the past 2 months.


First up, I made my Chevron Quilt Top. I cut 42 10" squares out of white yardage and then, using the Missouri Star Quilt co. method, I pieced my quilt top. I had a few troubles at first with the layout, but after a few hours sitting on the floor and rearranging I finally settled on a way to sew this up.
I plan on using the Polar Fleece that I have left over from my mother's quilt for the backing, but the top ended up being a few inches wider than the fleece, so I have to order some more. But that has to wait.
Oh, and excuse the crappy photo. I was balancing on the edge of the couch on one leg to get all of it in the frame. Well, most of it.



I also tried my hand on FMQ my Dresden Chains Quilt and failed miserably again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but instead of letting it sit for weeks again like I did with my Swoon Quilt, I picked it up a week later and started hand quilting it. And it's so much fun and relaxing. I quilt  around the chain and plan on echoing the Dresden Plates in a coordinating color. I don't use pearl cotton, instead I use some very thick cotton sewing thread that my mother gave me for my birthday in 6 colors. I didn't know what I could use it for, because it's too thick for my sewing machine, but it works perfectly for hand quilting. Right know I am halfway done with echoing the chain and I'm still enjoying it. Obviously, Mathilda is enjoying it too. It's not that she's very big, actually the hoop is just small. Mathilda is tiny. People often ask me how old she is and whether she still grows.



I also started a new quilt this week. As everyone else I have fallen in love with all the lines and patterns from Bonnie & Camille. Unfortunately this month there is no spare change left to buy me some Happy Go Lucky, but I thought I would give a new pattern from Camille a try. I love her pattern Round & Round and figured that I could try it out in a two color version. So I ordered some bright red fabric, purchased the pattern and started cutting. I cut all 295 pieces in one evening. I'm not a big fan of cutting, so I am glad I have it behind me now. Of course with every block there is some trimming to do, but at least I don't have to sit down and cut the fabric for each and every block by itself.
When I laid the block out at first I was a bit worried that the pattern wouldn't show up as pretty because I just used solid red and white, but after piecing it together it looks beautiful. Since I haven't worked on my Farmer's Wife Quilt at all after making the first two blocks, which I want to make in reds and whites as well, I think this one here will look pretty amazing around christmas. I just love red and white quilts. Or blue and white. Guess that's what's next on my to-do-list. And remembering not to leave my blocks on the table overnight when it rains. Thanks kitties.



The weather here started to skip spring and jump right into summer last month. This weekend though it feels like November has hit us hard. Two weeks ago though the weather was beautiful and Mr. A and I spent every afternoon in our local park with a homemade salad and a good book. The park is quite big and obviously it's full of people, but thanks to a lot of trees and different levels we can enjoy a little privacy with the cute little bunnies and squirrels that hop around there.


One day back then I bought some rhubarb when I went grocery shopping.
Mr. A isn't very picky with food but I knew he doesn't like rhubarb. I however grew up with rhubarb in summer. My mother made this awesome rhubarb cake, rhubarb jam, rhubarb soup etc. I had a lot of apples lying around so I thought I would give apple rhubarb sauce a try. And it was delicious! Even Mr. A loved it and ate more than half of it. I have to admit, I patted myself on the shoulder for that.




 I enjoyed it with some homemade Falafel for Lunch.


 Like I've said above we spent every day in the park with some salad. The most delicious one I made that week was hands down the warm pasta salad. I ate the leftovers the next day and the flavors were even better. I really need to make this one again soon.


And just because they rock my world. Those two really love my Swoon Quilt.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen